Wednesday, November 5, 2025

LIFELINE III



Rachel Parker was my Third Grade teacher.  The one and only fact that I remember learning in her class was in the proper lettering style.  I practiced both the upper and lower case letters until I became automatic in my writing.  One other incident that I remember that was the GILL BATH.  Mrs. Parker, Miss Pitman, Miss Clegg and Mrs. Brown were determined to give her son a bath to wash the terrible stink out of him, because Mrs. Brown's Homeroom and the other classes were disruptive.  So the four teachers bought him clean clothes, a bar of Lava soap and a galvanized tin washtub and took Mrs. Gill's son (Cannot remember his name.) out beside the schoolhouse (I think so other kids could watch!) and proceeded to scrub him and burn his clothes!  The next day Mrs. Gill appeared at the school "madder than a wet setting hen".  She gave Mrs. Haynes a cussing out and ended with "it werrnt ri't fer him to warsh 'im 'cause that'll kill 'im naterl born dead".  He had his old dirty, stinky clothes back on that day.  I remember him standing on the corner sidewalk in front of Seymour's Drug Store holding her baby twins on her teats, one for each breast, exposed.  I worked for the Drug Store when I was about 10 or so, which was an interesting experience, to say the least!  You can't do that nowadays because of the child labor laws.
Miss Pearson graced my presence in the Fourth Grade.  I don't remember much about that year except that Micky Riley and I began using our art for useful purposes.  We dabbled a few projects, such as posters and flyers for various events.  I was "force joined" by the special event put on by Puket Riley and Miss Virginia Coker.  I was to play the part as Jr. Santa Claus.  I was scared to death by torn between the fear of playing the part and Daddy and Mother not letting me to play the part.  It turns out that I was shocked by my parent's reaction!  Mother was elated that I would have the opportunity.  Daddy was less enthusiastic, but he gave his permission to perform.  I forgot my role in the play or the performance itself, but I am guessing we pulled it off.

Miss Pearson had the only all new 1950 Studebaker Champion Starlight Coupe in town, before and since.  It was Light Green, bullet nosed and wrapped around backlight. Indeed, it had unique styling.

Keith                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
ISOLATION

No comments:

Post a Comment

VOTE INTEGRITY

 JULY 31, 2026, HISTORY BECAME RECORDED AS THE MOST SIGNIFICENT ESTABLISHMENT OF VOTE INTEGRITY FOR THE PRESIDENT SINCE OUR TWO HUNDRED FIFT...