| ANTIQUE TV |
Then, there was P-E. (I figured that out until eighth grade.) It is a wonder that we lived through the bouts with the monkey-bars or the flyin'-Jenny! Once, I had a close call with neither. I was having a drink out of the water-fountain and Billy Fred jabbed in my ribs and I jumped and then fell backward and landed hard flat on my back, knocking my breath out of me! I thought I was surely going to die! I didn't, but I put the fear of God in me!
Mrs. Haynes, the Second Grade teacher, enjoyed an uneventful school year...until Doug and I had fisticuffs one day during lunch break. A couple of guys egged us on by telling him one thing and me another. We were told that we wanted to fight for different reasons. When we had been worked up into a lather, a time and place were set. So, on a Friday at Noon in the deep ditch 100 of the year yards behind the school we set out to have the prearranged so called fight of the (school) year. There were several classmates present, outnumbering the girls.
Doug and I were in an apprehensive expectation mode at the start, afraid to take the first lick at the other. Daringly, I took the first jab, didn't expecting what would be next. What followed was not a sock in my jaw was by an Earth-shattering from Doug, "Why do want to fight me so bad"? Well, you could had knocked me over with a feather! "I thought it was the other way around...that you wanted this fight" I exclaimed! "I think we've been had", Doug answered. "I think so, too", I added. "What'll we'll do 'bout it", Doug queried? "I think we should just go home...that'll fix 'em", I declared. "Let's", Doug's simple answer. So we did, arm in arm.
To say that the guys were miffed would be a gross understatement! I suspect that some money was involved and had certain individuals to make amends, no doubt! I got a belt taken to my butt when I got home from Doug's! I didn't how Daddy found out though, but I have a pretty good idea! I got to watch cartoons over at the Parker's...with the only TV around.
KEITH
No comments:
Post a Comment